45/573
Home / Keyword seattle /

Alki Spud

flickr-48685665212.jpg Lighthouse of Warren PlaceThumbnailsSettling in for the nightLighthouse of Warren PlaceThumbnailsSettling in for the nightLighthouse of Warren PlaceThumbnailsSettling in for the nightLighthouse of Warren PlaceThumbnailsSettling in for the nightLighthouse of Warren PlaceThumbnailsSettling in for the nightLighthouse of Warren PlaceThumbnailsSettling in for the nightLighthouse of Warren PlaceThumbnailsSettling in for the night

Alki Spud Fish & Chips, West Seattle. Brothers Jack and Frank Alger started selling fish and chips (ten cents for two pieces of ling cod and fries in a cardboard boat) out of their Alki Avenue garage in 1935, cutting a takeout window in the side of the building. During WWII, rationing made oil for frying difficult to obtain, and Spud nearly had to close, but neighbors banded together to donate their oil ration tickets, saving the fish and chip stand.

After the war, Spud replaced the old garage with a modern building of a nautical design, including portholes. By 1961 they had replaced this with the current Googie-inspired building featuring an upswept roof. Spud has since expanded to other neighborhoods and cities around Seattle, but the Alki location is the original.

Author
matthucke
Albums
Visits
819
Rating score
no rating
Rate this photo

0 comments

Add a comment